Saturday, July 2, 2011

Day five...bump...sleep

Last night was a family party and I may or may not of indulged in five brownies? Okay okay I did it! I ate five brownies. I swear it was not my fault, who in there right mind would say no to gooey, chocolate frosted with walnuts included brownies? I know I know have one, savor it and move on. Not so easy for the emotional eater!  We have all three kids this weekend and I have noticed my bad eating/drinking habits go through the roof after dealing with my step kids mom.  Sad but true. It's a work in process! So back to this weight loss thing ;)  Weight today is 186. I drank over 2 liter's of water yesterday and I just took my multi vitamin!  My small change for today isn't really a small change it's something I always strive for...more sleep! Flex diet says to aim for seven to eight hours. Studies have consistently shown that sleep plays a vital role in promoting physical health, longevity, and emotional well-being.
Sleep helps to repair your body.
Your body produces extra protein molecules while you're sleeping that helps strengthen your ability to fight infection and stay healthy.
Sleep helps keep your heart healthy. Your cardiovascular system is constantly under pressure and sleep helps to reduce the levels of stress and inflammation in your body.
Sleep reduces stress.
A good night's sleep can help lower blood pressure and elevated levels of stress hormones, which are a natural result of today's fast paced lifestyle.
Sleep improves your memory.
That 'foggy' feeling that you struggle with when deprived of sleep makes it difficult to concentrate
Sleep helps control body weight issues.
Sleep helps regulate the hormones that affect and control your appetite. Studies have shown that when your body is deprived of sleep, the normal hormone balances are interrupted and your appetite increases.
Sleep reduces your chances of diabetes
Researchers have shown that lack of sleep may lead to type 2 diabetes by affecting how your body processes glucose, which is the carbohydrate your cells use for fuel.
Sleep reduces the occurrence of mood disorders.
With insufficient sleep during the night, many people become agitated or moody the following day. Yet, when limited sleep becomes a chronic issue, studies have shown it can lead to long-term mood disorders such as depression or anxiety.


 Ahhh sleep, you sound dreamy, want to meet up later? Say maybe tonight?Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. And grandma's brownies are the best I've ever eaten! Anyway- good info on sleep, I wish I could get my body to stay there- I don't even have a baby waking me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally feel you on the "accidentally" eating five brownies thing. Or five cookies, or five slices of pie or whatever the tempting treat is. I do this to myself more than I'd like to admit. It's like I eat one, and then I think, "Well, I've already eaten one, it's not going to matter how many I eat now." Completely wrong thinking, I know, but it's there. I also find that I do this much more frequently when I am overwhelmed by mom tasks (and I only have one child!) or when I am feeling insecure or sad.

    One more thought...I think that this emotional eating thing is the case for many, many people, even the ones we would never suspect. My brother's wife is one that comes to mind. She probably weighs 100 pounds, and she told me one time that she has a problem with obsessive eating, to the point that she will eat whole pans of brownies or cookies by the boxful in one sitting. To compensate, she then goes out and runs 15 miles. These are all unhealthy behaviors, of course. I guess I'm sharing all this because I am always surprised to find that other people have the exact same problems I do--even to the extent that I do. It's comforting to know that I am not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Mandy, that means alot coming from you. You are such a strong woman and I am so happy you are a part of our family. I very much look up to you and all you do. Smart, beautiful and always up for a challenge!

    ReplyDelete